Energy Access & Energy Equity
Main content start
The Benson Lab is a research group in the department of Energy Resources Engineering. We investigate fundamental characteristics of carbon dioxide storage in geologic formations as well as low-carbon energy system modeling and optimization as means of climate change mitigation.
Program on Energy and Sustainable Development (PESD)
PESD is an international, interdisciplinary program that draws on the fields of economics, political science, law, and management to investigate how real energy markets work. This means understanding not only what is technologically possible and economically efficient but also how actual political and regulatory processes lead to outcomes that are more costly and less effective than they could be.
Faculty & Researchers
NGI Managing Director
Associate Director for Research at PESD, Social Science Research Scholar
Professor, Research, Management Science and Engineering
Holbrook Working Professor of Commodity Price Studies in the Dept of Economics / Director of the Program on Energy and Sustainable Development - Stanford University
- Econometrics Workshop
ECON 370 (Aut, Win, Spr)
- Energy Markets and Policy
GSBGEN 336 (Win)
- Energy, the Environment, and the Economy
ECON 17N (Win)
- Regulatory Economics
ECON 158 (Win)
- Regulatory Economics
LAW 1056 (Win)
- Research Methods and Policy Applications I
INTLPOL 301A (Aut)
- Research Methods and Policy Applications II
INTLPOL 301B (Win)
- Sustainable Energy for 9 Billion
ENERGY 104 (Spr)
- Public Economics and Environmental Economics Seminar
ECON 341 (Aut, Win, Spr)
- Advanced Methods in Modeling for Climate and Energy Policy
MS&E 394 (Spr)
- Doctoral Research Seminar in Energy-Environmental Systems Modeling and Analysis
MS&E 391 (Aut)
- International Environmental Policy
MS&E 92Q (Win)
- Sherwin, Evan, Jeffrey Rutherford, Yuanlei Chen, Sam Aminfard, Eric Kort, Robert Jackson, and Adam Brandt. “Single-Blind Validation of Space-Based Point-Source Detection and Quantification of Onshore Methane Emissions”. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-30761-2.
- Bracci, Justin, Evan Sherwin, Naomi Boness, and Adam Brandt. “Research Square”, Research Square. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-2488892/v1.
- Wald, Gregory, Kaarthik Sundar, Evan Sherwin, Anatoly Zlotnik, and Adam Brandt. “Advances in Applied Energy”, Elsevier, 6 (June 17, 2022): 100086. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adapen.2022.100086.
- Maamoun, Nada, Puneet Chitkara, Joonseok Yang, Gireesh Shrimali, Joshua Busby, Sarang Shidore, Yana Jin, and Johannes Urpelainen. “Identifying Coal Plants for Early Retirement in India: A Multidimensional Analysis of Technical, Economic, and Environmental Factors”, Elsevier, 312 (April 2022): 16.
- Chen, Yuanlei, Evan Sherwin, Elena S.F. Berman, Brian Jones, Matthew Gordon, Erin Wetherley, Eric Kort, and Adam Brandt. “Quantifying Regional Methane Emissions in the New Mexico Permian Basin With a Comprehensive Aerial Survey”, ACS Publications, 4317-23.
- Shi, L, KJ Mach, S Suh, and A Brandt. “Functionality-Based Life Cycle Assessment Framework: An Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Product Case Study”, Wiley, 19.
- Averesch, Nils JH, Vince Pane, Frauke Kracke, Marika Ziesack, Shannon Nangle, Pamela Silver, and Robert Waymouth. “Biocatalytic Formation of Novel Polyesters With Para-Hydroxyphenyl Groups in the Backbone - Engineering Cupriavidus Necator for Production of High-Performance Materials from CO2 and Electricity”.
- Orsini, Rachel, Philip Brodrick, Adam Brandt, and Louis Durlofsky. “Computational Optimization of Solar Thermal Generation With Energy Storage”, Elsevier, 47 (October 2021): 101342.
- Rutherford, Jeffrey, Evan Sherwin, Arvind Ravikumar, Garvin Heath, Jacob Englander, Daniel Cooley, David Lyon, Mark Omara, Quinn Langfitt, and Adam Brandt. “Closing the Methane Gap in US Oil and Natural Gas Production Emissions Inventories”, Nature Publishing Group, 12, no. 1 (August 2021): 12-Jan.
- Nie, Yuhao, Ahmed Zamzam, and Adam Brandt. “Resampling and Data Augmentation for Short-Term PV Output Prediction Based on an Imbalanced Sky Images Dataset Using Convolutional Neural Networks”, Pergamon, 224 (August 2021): 341-54.
- Liu, Ryan, Arvind Ravikumar, Xiaotao Tony Bi, Siduo Zhang, Yuhao Nie, Adam Brandt, and Joule Bergerson. “Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Western Canadian Natural Gas: Proposed Emissions Tracking for Life Cycle Modeling”, American Chemical Society.
- Wang, Jingfan, Jingwei Ji, Arvind Ravikumar, Silvio Savarese, and Adam Brandt. “VideoGasNet: Deep Learning for Natural Gas Methane Leak Classification Using an Infrared Camera”, Pergamon, 121516.
- Brandt, Adam, Holger Teichgraeber, Charles Kang, Charles Barnhart, Michael Carbajales-Dale, and Sgouris Sgouridis. “Blow Wind Blow: Capital Deployment in Variable Energy Systems”, Pergamon, 224 (June 2021): 120198.
- Sherwin, Evan. “Electrofuel Synthesis from Variable Renewable Electricity: An Optimization-Based Techno-Economic Analysis”, American Chemical Society.
- Kang, Mary, Adam Brandt, Zhong Zheng, Jade Boutot, Chantel Yung, Adam Peltz, and Robert Jackson. “Orphaned Oil and Gas Well Stimulus--Maximizing Economic and Environmental Benefits”, University of California Press, 9, no. 1 (April 2021): 161.
- Powell, Joseph, Naomi Boness, D’Arcy Biddle Seamon, Jim Chen, and Justin Bracci. “Workshop Brief: Decarbonizing Heavy-Duty Transportation”, Stanford Energy.
- Sleep, Sylvia, Zainab Dadashi, Yuanlei Chen, Adam Brandt, Heather MacLean, and Joule Bergerson. “Improving Robustness of LCA Results through Stakeholder Engagement: A Case Study of Emerging Oil Sands Technologies”, Elsevier, 281 (January 2021): 125277.
- Mukerji, Vishal Das Ahinoam Pollack Uri Wollner And Tapan. “Convolutional Neural Network for Seismic Impedance Inversion”.